Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fernando Alonso agrees three-deal Ferrari F1 deal



Renault's double world champion Fernando Alonso will replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari next season, the Italian Formula One team has confirmed in a statement.

The Spaniard Alonso has signed a three-year deal and will partner Felipe Massa next year.

The announcement had been wideley expected, with Finland's 2007 world champion Raikkonen set to make way next year at the Italian team, who now have Spanish bank Santander as major backers.

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali said after last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix that the team did not want to wait much longer before announcing their 2010 line-up.

And today, in a statement, he said: "We are very proud to welcome to our team another winning driver, who has demonstrated his amazing talent by winning two world championships in his career to date.

"Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything he has done during his time with Ferrari.

"In his first year with us he managed to win the drivers' title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari's history, and he played a vital role in our taking of the constructors' title in 2007 and 2008.

"Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa.

"We are sure we can share more good times together in the final three races o! f this season."

Renault managing director Jean-Franc! ois Caub et had already hinted strongly that Alonso was on the way out, saying on Sunday that "Fernando will miss Renault and Renault will miss Fernando."

It has been reported that Alonso's contract would be worth around £23 million per season, somewhat less than the deal currently in place with Raikonnen, who is likely to replace his fellow Finn, Heikki Kovalainen, at McLaren.